Every airline overbooks, but most have customer service departments that actually care about making it right for their customers. Instead, Alitalia is unique in its care-free attitude that plunges their customers into the depths of limbo, despair and agony. They will make you wait in line for HOURS.
Their employees are one or more of the following:
a. lazy
b. incompetent
c. competent and hard working, but disaffected from having to deal with coworkers who are a. and/or b. and/or d.
d. Undermotivated by a labor system that virtually guarantees employment and pension benefits, which soon turns into a 'I dare you to try to fire me, because then I'll just sit at home and collect money and benefits until the case is dismissed 6 years later, and I'll be paid just the same' attitude that, well, let's just say, does not exist in most 2nd world nations.
They will not honor lines, or people who have waited in lines the longest. They abide by the Italian mantra, whoever arrives at the front first must deserve to be there, whether they cheat, use some fabricated excuse or just barge their way past elderly, disabled, or children. Remember, this is a country that has re-elected Berlusconi several times.
Fiumicino airport is a nightmare, and I have spent hours upon hours waiting for Alitalia and other assorted airport employees to check my bag, return my bag, figure out alternative arrangements for their overbooked flights. I have flown to Rome several times. If I return to Rome, I will fly a European, British, or American airline. I will not fly Alitalia. And by the way, they code share with Delta Airlines, so, you could end up in the Alitalia nightmare if you book with Delta.
Good luck.
If you do find yourself with Alitalia tickets, know that they will NOT check you bags more than 3 hours before the flight. Bring something to read/listen to in line, because you WILL wait in line. Try to check in online.
If you doubt my credibility, just do a google search for "alitalia sucks" or "never fly alitalia" to read others.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment